Wednesday 5 October 2011

spark plugs

I cant for the life of me find any reference to the specification of the correct spark plug for my scooter.  Various owner manuals can tell me that my ignition is "Magneto, fixed spark advance" and that my points should be ".016" - .02" " etc but no mention of what sort of replacement spark plug.
My Manurhin came with a spark plug in it, but as the bike in general had been so abused, I am being cautious as to wether this is a spark plug as specified.

The plug in my bike is an AC 44-5V

I came across The Green Spark Plug Company on the internet and thought I would do a little research into sparkplugs.  Crikey! I hadn't realised how complex it all was, and so I gave them a call to see if they could enlighten me.
The very helpful chap at GSPC informed me that an AC 44-5V was very likely the correct plug for my scooter (and very common for scooters in general).  They were out of stock of those but the very reasonable J8C would be a suitable alternative (see the photo alongside for a comparison of these plugs - seems like a 'copper core' electrode is the only difference - and these are supposed to be better for high temperatures..... not that i imagine my Manurhin getting that much wear)
I pressed him further for suggestions on plug caps, and once again he informed me that my application was pretty common and a standard non-suppressed LZFH would do the job handsomely.
Feeling flush I took the plunge and ordered a meter of 7mm PVC HT lead too.

Total cost including postage; £7.82

No comments:

Post a Comment